Chiropractors can work wonders through their adjustment and manipulation techniques. Chiropractic care helps reduce pain and soothe ailments. Lifestyle choices outside the doctor’s office can influence the effectiveness of treatment. Exercise, diet and drinking enough water are just a few things that can impact our bodies and the thousands of underlying processes that on go every second of the day.
The building blocks of life are nutrients and nutrients are found in food! The nutrients we do or do not provide to our bodies can contribute to the health of our spine and the surrounding muscles. An article in the BBC reports that back pain and degeneration is linked to a lack of nutrients, meaning diet can even contribute to preventing injury. In honor of National World Health Day, April 7, 2017, we’ve decided to make a list of health food that chiropractors want you to eat.
- Leafy Green Vegetables – Kale, collards, spinach lettuce and cabbage are leafy greens. Leafy greens are brimming with fiber, vitamins, minerals and plant-based substances that may help protect you from heart disease, diabetes and perhaps even cancer according to WebMD.
- Coldwater Fish – Salmon contains Omega-3 fatty acids which decrease inflammation and improve blood flow. Your body cannot produce Omega-3 fatty acids. You need to obtain it in from dietary sources.
- Seeds – Chia or Flaxseed – These seeds, like salmon and other coldwater fish, contain Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acides are loaded with fiber, protein and other micronutrients.
- Broccoli – This vegetable is a powerhouse containing magnesium, calcium, vitamin K, vitamin C and iron!
- Fruit – It’s no surprise fruit makes the list! Almost every fruit has its benefits. Blueberries are a big boost of anthocyanin compounds. These compounds can cut your diabetes risk by 23 percent (based on one cup a week). Apples contain soluble fiber to help lower cholesterol. Mangoes contain vitamin A and E. Mangoes have been linked to healthier blood fat profiles!
All these foods can lead to a healthier lifestyle and ultimately a better back! Increasing nutrients helps build healthier bones, increase circulation and lower inflammation. If you are experiencing any pain, or would like more support in changing your diet, contact us at (920) 882-4000.